Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lightest Tattoo Machine EVER!

I saw an article on the internet the other day that talked about a new tattoo machine on the market, that was supposed to be the lightest coil tattoo machine ever made.

I have to say that I am not sure this is true because this specific tattoo machine (not going to drop dimes here) has the bulk of its parts made of Aluminum. Aluminum is a very light metal, and is a very nice concept for tattoo frame design for those who use disposable tubes and hate having a massive iron throwing off balance...but I have seen a plastic tattoo machine as well. This plastic frame is pretty light...and I think that it is probably the lightest frame ever made.

Either way, once you add in the coils and A-Bar - you get a medium weight machine anyway. We are only talking about a few grams difference.

If you have used this so-called (lightest machine ever) or this (plastic-framed) style machines please leave a comment on this blog. I would love to hear feedback.

I plan to start a "consumer reports" style flavor to the blog, where once a month or so I will showcase something new. It might be new on the market, or just new to me. I will test it out for a bit and give you all the good the bad and the ugly.

This means I get new stuff, and you get all the details and honest opinions about the gear(you hear that tattoo suppliers this means send me free stuff!).

I have tried out a bunch of new things from Eikon last year (maybe not new on the market, but definitely new for me) and I am anxious to write my reviews. I have a compare contrast between the Eikon and the Pulse power supplies already written and ready to go. Just want to contact the manufacturers with the review and let them know I am going to publish it, allow them time to offer some sort of rebuttal or explanation. Possible they will say "Charles, you don’t even know how to use a power supply properly!" so if that is the case then I will have to just be humble. I do know that I have done a lot of business with Eikon and Pulse and I love them both very much.

Oh yeah, I've also got a couple of those new fangled Tat-Soul chairs last year, so look for those review as well. Some other reviews I am going to have to write: Kingpin disposable tubes, Spearman Needles, Eternal Pigments, Silverback Pigement, Intenz Zuperblack...

I could go on and on. So why am I teasing you about these things if I haven't written the reviews yet? I am actually just brain storming...I am not shure what the protocol for a Blog is actualy. I intend to keep mine pretty relaxed though. That is really my philosophy for tattoo as well. I try to keep the work environment in the studio relaxed and chill - but professional and educated. There is a very complex balance and if you are fortunate to learn it from the individual you are apprenticing under then you will master one of the easiest ways to increase foot traffic to your studio. You just have to remember that it is possible to have fun and still be professional. If you are an expert in yoru field (no matter what the field) then you still have to have some type of professionalism.

You might be saying, "thats not why I became a tattoo artist, I am more of the I dont give a @!$% kinda' personality"

Well, that is fine for a certain level of tattoo - and it also changes with age and industry maturity, and it is not always the case for every tattoo artist. You will find that there are some tattoo artists who are happy working in a rundown "ghetto" tattoo studio, with lower paying clientele. This is fine too. If you are happy then I am happy.

Just be very observant as a tattoo apprentice and make notes of things that work and don’t work. I don't think I have ever met a tattoo artist who has said, "I never want to own my own studio."
It is my opinion that you should treat every studio that you work in like you own it. Try to improve it, and try to make every client know that you are proud to be a part of the industry and proud to be part of the "tattoo family" you work with.

So, after going off on multiple tangents - I think that will wrap up this entry of the blog...good night internets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that a Tattoo Apprenticeship is the Best way to go...